Every child deserves a home and a family. In this lesson. students will learn about the loving choice of adoption and explore stories of people who have been adopted. Students will develop a deeper understanding of what adoption and foster care are and why, as Christians, we take very seriously the responsibility for every child born into the world.
PK, TK & Kinder Lesson Plan
Students will learn about the loving choice of adoption and explore stories of people who have been adopted.
Grades PK, TK and Kindergarten Lesson Plan
Grades 1-3 Lesson Plan
This lesson reinforces a thankfulness for family and home and a desire to pray for and support those children who do not have either.
“Story of Moses” (stop at 4:55)
Grades 4-6 Lesson Plan
Students will develop a deeper understanding of what adoption and foster care are and why, as Christians, we take very seriously the responsibility for every child born into the world.
Clips of Olivia and Izaiyah from Wednesday’s Child, a news segment highlighting children available for adoption
Grades 7-9 Lesson Plan
Students will learn about the number of infants and children available for adoption or in the foster care system. They will explore adoption as a loving option for unexpected pregnancies.
Grades 10-12 Student Handout
A positive pregnancy test…now what? Each day, hundreds of thousands of women learn that they are pregnant, and our culture tells them that they have two choices: keep and parent the child, or have an abortion. However, people so often fail to talk about the third option–adoption! For many women, adoption never even occurs to them, or, it is seen as distasteful or worse than abortion. How can we support women in making this heroic and selfless choice?
*Used with Permission from the Archdiocese of Los Angeles*
- Adoption Stories from the World Meeting of Families Two families share how adoption has not only helped their family grow, but also has made them more compassionate and loving people. Catholic News Service. 2 minutes.
- “A Birthmother Story: Grace” A birthmother shares her moving story of choosing adoption for her baby. Adoption is chosen because birthmothers love their children more, not less. 4 minutes.
- Gianna Jensen’s Story Pro-life activist Gianna Jensen shares her adoption story. 3 minutes.
- “Adoption Montage” From Students for Life of America, a birthmother, adoptive mother, and adoptee all share their stories. 10 minutes.
- “8 Adoption Stories” Heartwarming collection of stories showing the power of adoption. ABC. 13 minutes.
- “I’m Adopted” Lisa shares the story of her adoption and of eventually talking to both of her birthparents. Students for Life of America. 5 minutes.
- “Unwanted” Story of Ryan Bomberger, adopted after his birth mother was raped but chose life. Positive message of overcoming a bad situation and the power of adoption. 1.5 minutes.
- “Jessica’s Story” of being a birthmom and placing her child for adoption with a loving home. Jessica is an important part of her daughter Macy’s life and her new adoptive family. 6 minutes.
- iChoose Adoption stories of birthmoms who chose to place their children for adoption. Miranda‘s story, 1 minute. Cristen‘s story, 1 minute. Angela‘s story, 6 minutes.
- College student Callie Mitchell‘s story of placing her son Leo in an open adoption. NBC Rock Center story. 7.5 minutes.
- Adoptive parents meet their baby for the first time The results are astounding. 8 minutes.
- “A Husband Lost, a Daughter Found” New York Times article with 2 minute video about one woman’s experience when her adult daughter finds her at 17 after being adopted at birth. Positive depiction of the choice to adopt and good reunion story.
Foster Youth Stories
- Foster Youth Share their Stories of Loss, Trust, and Hope Former foster teens tell their stories of the challenges and benefits to their foster care experiences. Powerful to learn how so many kids live. 17 minutes.
- “Children in Foster Care” Students for Life of America offer information on discussing adoption and foster care from a pro-life perspective. Apologetic in nature. 7 minutes.
- Washington Times story of a priest who turned to Facebook to help find adoptive parents for an unborn child given a diagnosis of Down Syndrome. With one day to make the decision, close to 1,000 families respond that they will adopt the baby. Beautiful story!
- Catholic Couple Adopts Triplets Heartwarming story.
- Adopting Teens Liz shares her story of adopting Ashley, one of many teens who often age out of the foster care system before being adopted.
- Stories from Catholic Charities A birthmother and adoptive parents’ stories from the diocese of Arlington.
- “Adoption is Biblical” Mary Ann shares her story of adoption and how adoption is Biblical, especially because we are adopted children of God. from Priests for Life.
- ”Accompanying Expectant Mothers Considering Adoption” Practical advice from the USCCB to help mothers who might be considering adoption.
Adopted and Loved Website with resources and information for birth moms and people wishing to adopt.
These Kids Are Waiting for Adoption photo list of some of the children in foster care in LA, awaiting adoption.
Brave Love – gorgeous website highlighting the stories of brave love shown by birth parents, adoptive parents, and adoptees
Post-Secondary Support System Website connecting students aged-out of the foster care system to programs that will help support their college education.
National Council for Adoption Resources and information for all types of adoption and different people involved.
Scripture and Church Teaching
Exodus 2:1-10 The adoption of Moses by Pharaoh’s daughter.
“Adoption Novena” This PDF from the USCCB has different prayers for all of the people involved in adoption. Each prayer features scripture, silent reflection, a prayer, and a petition to St. Joseph, foster father of Jesus Christ. It is formatted to be a novena, but can also be use on a one-time basis.
“Intercessory Prayers: Adoption” Pre-written intercessory prayers from the USCCB for use at Mass in English and Spanish.
Find service opportunities here!