Enter a search request and press enter. Press Esc or the X to close.


Where do I get information about my pension or retirement window?

The Archdiocese Pension Office
1011 First Ave
16th Floor
New York , NY  10022
212-371-1011 x3030

Enhanced Voluntary Retirement Window (EVRW)

For questions about the EVRW, you can contact the EVRW Call Center at 866-305-8846 (Plan Code 435) Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern.

For more information on the EVRW, click here.

How does one become Catholic?

There are two ways or two tracks for initiation into the Catholic Faith:
         # 1 – As an infant / child (Ages newborn – 6 years old)
         # 2 – As a child of catechetical age (Ages 7 – 13) and as an adult (Ages 14 +)

Please note that there are three sacraments of Christian initiation that makes someone a fully initiated Catholic. These three sacraments are: Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist (First Holy Communion).

# 1: For infants / children (Newborn to 6 years old) who are not baptized – Parents would request baptism from their local Catholic parish. Usually, the parish will interview the parents and offer the parents (and maybe Godparents) a few baptism preparation sessions prior to the celebration of the child’s baptism. When the child has reached the age of 7 or 8, the child may receive their first Holy Communion after taking at least two years of sacramental preparation classes. Finally, when the child has reached, at minimum, the age of 11, the child may receive the sacrament of Confirmation from a bishop after taking at least two years of sacramental preparation classes.

# 2: For children of catechetical age (Ages 7 – 13) and adults (Ages 14 +) who are not baptized – they would usually participate in their local parish Catechumenate process and receive the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults which culminates with the celebration of the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist (First Holy Communion), in this order, at the same Mass celebration, usually the Easter Vigil Mass. The Catechumenate process is gradual and takes place within a Catholic faith community know as a parish. Those participating in the Catechumenate – known as catechumens – must undergo a “conversion in mind and in action” and are to develop “a sufficient acquaintance with Christian teaching as well as a spirit of faith and charity”. The Catechumenate process usually takes one to several years. There are several stages and various major and minor Rites that are celebrated during the Catechumenate process to assist in the spiritual formation of the catechumens. Catechumens are assigned a parish Sponsor as a guide and mentor.

If you have additional questions on the Catechumenate (RCIA), please contact your local Catholic parish or the Archdiocesan Director of the Catechumenate at or 646-794-2574.

How does a Teenager and adult prepare for the sacrament of Confirmation?
Teenagers (Ages 13 – 17) and Adults (Ages 18 +) who have already received their First Holy Communion and who are seeking preparation for the sacrament of Confirmation, are usually enrolled in a Confirmation program which ends with the celebration of the sacrament of Confirmation with a bishop. The preparation may last several months to several years. The preparation may entail weekly classes, a retreat and some apostolic service. Teenagers (Ages 14 – 17) should contact their local Catholic parish for this preparation. Adults (Ages 18 +) should do the same or contact the Office of Adult Faith Formation for more information at or 646-794-2574.

How do I become a priest, deacon or sister (nun)?

The best place to learn about becoming a diocesan priest is from our Vocations office. Its pages on this site will take you through the steps, from discernment (determining if God is calling you to the priesthood) through seminary application and acceptance to ordination. You can also contact 914-968-1340 or
Becoming a deacon is another wonderful way of serving a faith community. Deacons can perform some, but not all, the functions of a priest, participating in the management of a parish, giving homilies and blessings, baptizing, marrying couples (if delegated to by a priest) and providing pastoral care and counsel. Men who are married may become deacons, but if an unmarried man becomes a deacon, he may not later marry. For more on becoming a deacon, visit the diaconate pages of this site. 

The process of becoming a religious order priest (e.g., Paulist, Dominican, Jesuit) is different from that of becoming a diocesan priest. Applications are made to the religious order. We have provided a few links here, but generally you can find out more about any order’s process by searching online for the name of the order that interests you. 

Becoming a sister (aka a nun) is similar to becoming a religious order priest in the sense that the process depends on the order (e.g., Sisters of Life, Dominicans, Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur). We have provided a few links here, but generally you can find out more about any order by searching online for the name of the one that interests you. 

Curious about religious orders? Check out the Vision Vocation Network. Orders have different focuses based on the particular gifts or charisms of their founders – e.g., preaching, evangelizing. The site provides a matching tool, accessible here, that can help guide you to the orders that might be right for you.

How do I find a baptism, communion, confirmation, or marriage record?

Each parish keeps its own records of baptisms, first communions, confirmations, marriages, and funerals as long as it is open – so to obtain a record, you generally need to contact the parish at which the sacrament was conferred.

If you do not know which parish performed the sacrament, you can write to the Vicar General’s Office at the archdiocese. Please send a self-addressed stamped envelope with your request to:

Vicar General’s Office
1011 First Avenue
New York, NY 10022

Please note that the archdiocese does not have a centralized, searchable database of all sacraments. For assistance in locating records relating to genealogical research, you may review the Genealogy Research Policy and submit your search request through the Archives here. Please note that all requests are filled in the order they are received, and can take several weeks to process.

How do I find a transcript or other school record?

Generally, schools maintain their own records as long as they are in operation. To obtain a transcript or other information, contact the school directly. (To find a school, search here.)
The Archdiocese Archives & Records Management office maintains records for the following:

Elementary schools
Assumption, Staten Island
Holy Cross, Manhattan
Old St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Manhattan 
Our Lady Help of Christians, Staten Island
Our Lady of Loretto, Manhattan
Sacred Heart, Mount Vernon 
St. Agnes, Manhattan
St. Ann, Manhattan
St. Boniface, Manhattan
St. Brigid, Manhattan
St. Catherine of Siena, Manhattan
St. Christopher, Red Hook
St. Gabriel, Manhattan
St. Joseph, Bronx
St. Mary, Manhattan
St. Mary, Wappingers Falls
St. Nicholas of Tolentine, Bronx
St. Peter, Liberty
St. Peter, Manhattan
St. Pius V, Bronx
St. Rose of Lima, Manhattan
St. Veronica, Manhattan 

High schools
Blessed Sacrament, New Rochelle
Coleman Catholic, Ulster
St. Gabriel, New Rochelle
St. Louis Academy, Staten Island 
St. Nicholas of Tolentine, Bronx
St. Peter’s Girls’, Staten Island 
St. Pius V, Bronx 

For a transcript from one of these schools, fill out a record request (elementary school form here; high school form here) and return it to Archives & Records Management by mail.

Archdiocese Archives & Records Management
201 Seminary Avenue
Yonkers, NY 10704

Please include:

Identification: Only certain people can gain access to an individual’s record:
The student (if over age 18 or an emancipated minor)
A parent or legal guardian (if the student is under age 18)
Officials of the Archdiocese of New York schools
Other parties as designated in writing by persons indicated above
Other parties as designated by court order, subpoena, summons, or statute
The associated fee of $5 by cash, cashier’s check or money order

Transcript(s) will be sent by mail in approximately two weeks. Unfortunately, information cannot be emailed, faxed or given over the phone. 

For the location of closed high school records not listed above, please click here. Please note, this list changes from time to time and may not be complete. 

If you are a former teacher looking for information related to your employment, please contact the Superintendent of Schools Office.

Note: If your school was located in Brooklyn or Queens, then the records are managed by the Archives of the Diocese of Brooklyn.


If you have exhausted these options and still cannot find what you are looking for, please contact Archives & Records Management at 914-476-6333 or

Where do I sign up for religious education classes?

For children
Parishes are the center of religious education for children through confirmation age. To locate a parish and inquire about their religious education programs, use our parish finder. 

For youth 13+
Some parishes offer religious education classes for teens who have already received the sacrament of confirmation. Inquire with your parish or, to locate a parish, use our parish finder. 

Many parishes have youth ministry programs targeted to this age group. Inquire with your pastor. However, if the parish does not have a youth ministry program, then you might consider starting one! If your pastor is supportive, then reach out to the archdiocese’s Youth Faith Formation department. Its Youth Ministry office conducts trainings and offers resources and support for youth ministers and aspiring youth ministers.

The Youth Ministry office also hosts the annual New York Catholic Youth Day, a spirit-filled gathering of teens from all over the archdiocese that includes engaging speakers, music, service projects and more. 

For adults
Some parishes offer classes for adults interested in expanding their knowledge of the faith. Many also have bible study groups. For this information, inquire with your parish or find a parish here. 

For those looking for something more, the archdiocese’s Adult Faith Formation office offers numerous programs tailored to adult learners, including: 

Enlighten, a joint program with Fordham University’s Graduate School of Religion and Religious Studies. Currently, six courses are offered. All are free and delivered online.
Christlife, a three-step process that helps participants discover, follow, and share Jesus Christ. ChristLife partners with parishes, priests, clergy, religious and lay leaders seeking to answer the Church’s call to evangelize and spread the Gospel.
New York Catholic Bible School illuminates the scriptural foundations of our faith, helps students deepen their appreciation for it and prepares them to share the Word of God. No particular educational background is required, but the Bible School is designed for the serious student. The course of study leads to a Certificate in Basic Scripture Study after two years and a Certificate in Advanced Scripture Study for those who complete the full, four-year course.

Visit the Adult Faith Formation pages on this site for more.

What is ITV? Where can I find Catholic Programming?

ITV is the Instructional Television service for the schools of the Archdiocese of New York. With broadcast studios located on the grounds of Saint Joseph’s Seminary in Yonkers, ITV transmits educational programming in all subject areas to more than 100 elementary and high schools from Staten Island to Sullivan County – an educational blanket of more than 4,700 square miles. 

ITV can be viewed on:

Channel 76 – Yonkers
Channel 30 (Cablevision) – Bronx
Channel 56 – Staten Island

Visit the website:

What is/how do I get an annulment?

Officially known as a Declaration of Nullity of a Marriage, an annulment declares that a marriage presumed to be valid according to Church law actually fell short of at least one of the elements required for a binding union.

For more information, please see the Tribunal Office.