The end of life is a sacred time, on the threshold of eternity. Learn how you can prepare now for yourself and your loved ones to receive care proper to your dignity as a human person and so enter into this stage of life with peace.
Ways to Prepare
The best way to plan ahead in end-of-life decisions is to have a health care proxy. Click here to download a Health Care Proxy Form in English or in Spanish.
Not sure how to choose the right legal document for your health care decisions? Visit this page to learn more.
Read this flyer on Making End-of-Life Decisions as a Catholic. (En Español).
Read this interview with Fr. Thomas Berg on End of Life Ethics.
A Guide to Catholic End-of-Life Decisions
This Catholic Guide by the New York State Catholic Conference is designed to explain the moral principles of Catholic teaching in end-of-life decision-making and outlines the options that exist in NY State for advanced care planning.
For more clarity, guidance and resources go to https://www.catholicendoflife.org.
The National Catholic Bioethics Center offers consultation services to individuals free of charge. The NCBC consultation service is intended for individuals seeking moral information and guidance in the face of real-life problems.
There are two ways to submit a consultation request:
- Call 215-877-2660; 24 hours/day — 7 days/week.
- Online Consultation Request Form: An ethicist will respond to you by email within 5 business days.
Care & Prepare: End-of-Life Education Video
Watch this 30-minute video and 15-minute Q&A on how to care for others and prepare for the end of life. This excellent video offers a comprehensive overview of Catholic end-of-life ethics and practical ways to prepare.
Home Care, Short-Term Rehab, Nursing Homes, End of Life Care, and Specialized Care Services throughout the Archdioces
- Phone: 1-855‑951‑2273 [CARE] (TTY/TDD: 711)
- 7 days a week, 8:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M.
- Website: https://www.archcare.org/
- Address: 115 Broadway, Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522
- Phone: 914-693-6800
- Website: http://www.cabrini-eldercare.org/
- Address: 1740 Eastchester Road, Bronx, NY 10461
- Phone: 718- 518-2000
- Website: http://www.calvaryhospital.org/
Carmelite Sisters of the Aged and Infirm – St. Patrick’s Home
- Address: 66 Van Cortlandt Park S, Bronx, NY 10463
- Phone: 718-519-2800
- Website: http://www.stpatrickshome.org/
- For a listing of all Carmelite facilities: http://www.carmelitesystem.org/
Encore Community Services
Senior services in Manhattan
- Website: http://encorecommunityservices.org/
Hawthorne Dominicans, Rose Hill Home
- Address: 600 Linda Ave, Hawthorne, NY 10532
- Phone: 914-769-0114
Little Sisters of the Poor, Jeanne Jugan Residence
- Contact: Mother Gertrude Mary, Mother Superior
- Address: 2999 Schurz Ave, Bronx, NY 10465-3826
- Phone: 347-329-1800
- Website: http://www.littlesistersofthepoorbronx.org/
- Contact: Sister Seline Mary Flores, C.S.JB
- Address: 3304 Waterbury Ave., Bronx, NY 10465
- Phone: 718.931.3000 Ext: 8458
- Website: https://www.providencerest.org/
Servants of Mary, Ministers to the Sick
In-patient home services for the poor
- Address: 3305 Country Club Road, Bronx NY 10465
- Phone: 718-829–0428
- Website: http://sisterservantsofmary.org/contact-us/bronx-new-york
These pre-made parish presentations will make it easy for you to communicate the truths of Catholic teaching on the end of life clearly and effectively.
Catholic Ethics of End of Life Care
What does true compassion at the end of life look like?
In this compelling interview, Dr. Michael Brescia shares what patients really need at the end of their life.
Learn more about the dangers of assisted suicide legislation and how to protect yourself and your loved ones. Visit the Public Policy website or our page for more information.