First Things in Youth Ministry
A formative journey with new youth ministry leaders recognized nationally and developed by the National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry (NFCYM). This seven-session course goes hand-in-hand with the Basic Leadership Training (BLT). Both courses are required and designed to equip Youth Ministry Leaders in the Archdiocese of New York for success in their first years in ministry.
Just starting in youth ministry and not sure where to start?
First Things in Youth Ministry is a seven-session online formation program for anyone new to youth ministry or looking at wanting to make a fresh start. Whether volunteer or paid, this training provides direction for the first six months of taking on a new leadership role. Think of it as Basic Training in Comprehensive Youth Ministry.
DOWNLOAD PROGRAM FLYER
LEARN AND GROW TOGETHER! (TRAINING FORMAT)
First Things in Youth Ministry uses a cohort model to not only provide participants with the foundational information for leading a youth ministry program, but with a community of support as well.
- Online Cohort: 8-12 new leaders and 1 coach per group
- 3 Months of Virtual Formation: Initial orientation and six 90-minute online sessions
- Participant Preparation: Approximately 3-hours of required reading, viewing content, and reflection activities prior to each session
- Group Discussion: Share insights on material and practical application to local situations
- Practical Applications: Apply learnings through tangible steps and strategies that assist in building a comprehensive youth ministry model
- Diving Deeper: Follow-up materials for further development available for each session
National cohort groups will begin every fall, winter, and spring. Upon completion, participants will have received between 40-45 hours of practical and ministerial formation. See the session summary below for more information on training topics.
SETTING THE FOUNDATION (TRAINING TOPICS)
- Information & Q & A Session– come learn more about what First Things in Youth Ministry is all about! Meet other new Youth Ministry Leaders, or veterans looking to refresh their ministry. We will get to learn about each other, parish settings, current struggles, and how First Things will help you in your ministry. Following the introduction you will complete the online “Welcome” which is a short self-paced online module to introduce you to the course work and the online learning management system.
- Session 1: First Things about Comprehensive Youth Ministry –review primary YM documents, goals, and components; discuss accompaniment model, active listening, and relational ministry
- Session 2: First Things in Understanding Young People, Culture, and Your Local Context – overview of Gen Z and how to engage them and your local community’s diverse cultures, parents, and church leaders
- Session 3: First Things in Building a Leadership Team and Recruiting Volunteers – recruiting and forming your core team, maintaining diversity, and determining leadership and planning structures
- Session 4: First Things on Accompanying Young People and Their Parents – assessing needs of youth and parents; developing program structures that engage and empower youth to live as disciples within and outside the parish community
- Session 5: First Things in Program Planning and Budgeting – practical program logistics and best practices (formation, retreats, events, program evaluations); creating a budget; checklist for strategic programming
- Session 6: First Things in Resources and Networking – most helpful resources, websites, and supportive networks; review of next steps and continued development; and a closing cohort prayer experience
To sign up for the January 8th Information Session email Christina Davis, Director of Youth Ministry