Welcome to the Clergy Portal. It was created with you in mind. We hope to provide you with resources that will assist you with the important work you are providing for your parish. We will continue to add clergy-only content. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to us at 646-794-3185 or [email protected].
During the COVID-19 period, we have modified the in-person Pre-Cana Day (English and Spanish) to be a virtual experience for our couples. The virtual Pre-Cana features the same Pre-Cana facilitator couples, and includes the same content as our in–person Pre-Cana, with the key exception of the priest content (e.g. talk, blessing, confession).
Your couples can register for the virtual Pre-Cana days in their marriage prep account, or you can have them email us at [email protected], or call us at (646) 794-3188.
Marriage and Re-Marriage / Convalidation Preparation Resources
- Pre-Cana Videos (English)
- Pre-Cana PowerPoint slides (from the English in-person Pre-Cana)
- Pre-Cana couple’s workbook (English)
- Convalidation Prep Videos (English)
- Pre-Cana Videos (Spanish)
- Pre-Cana PowerPoint slides (from the Spanish in-person Pre-Cana)
- Pre-Cana couple’s workbook (Spanish)
- HV50 Conference Videos
Preparation Programs: Marriage, Re-Marriage and Convalidations
The Archdiocesan Marriage and Convalidation/Re-Marriage Preparation Programs include a format that combines multiple content-delivery methods (online, video and in-person) with a one-day Pre-Cana experience. This approach provides significant benefits:
- Online components will provide couples and priests/deacons with tangible insight into a couple’s relationship and faith.
- The in-person or virtual day is an experience of faith, witness, and community that provides practical advice for the engaged couples on topics including self-awareness, communication, commitment, and addressing common challenges. It is also designed to help couples understand and embrace a Catholic vision of married love, sexuality, and spirituality. The day is meant to help couples grow in love and be open to God’s grace so they can have happy and fulfilling marriages.
- The cost of the program is $150.
- Online engagement will help us stay in touch with couples, engaging them further after their wedding with enrichment events, faith experts and marriage mentors.
Responsibilities for Priests and Deacons
Each couple is required to select an online relationship inventory when they register for the Archdiocesan Marriage or Convalidation/Re-Marriage Preparation program. They will need to select either Catholic Couple Checkup (CCC) or Prepare/Enrich (PE). Your responsibility as the priest or deacon preparing the couple is to direct them to take one or the other when you initially meet with them.
- Catholic Couple Checkup (CCC) and Prepare/Enrich (PE) are relationship inventories that the Archdiocese of New York endorses when we work with our couples. Used as both premarital assessments as well as marriage enrichment tools, these two inventories are designed to help couples discover their unique relationship strengths, which enable them to enjoy and continue developing a healthy relationship. They also address areas of growth and help identify issues threatening the vitality of the relationship. CCC and PE are in the same family of relationship inventories, and the main component of each program is an online survey that the couple completes.
- While Catholic Couple Checkup (CCC) is taken without clergy facilitation, Prepare/Enrich (PE) requires you or another trained facilitator to administer and interpret results. (With CCC, couples have the option to share their 15-20 page report with you, so be sure to ask them for a copy of it – either printed or digital.) If you would like to be trained to be a PE facilitator, contact the Family Life Office at 646-794-3188, or email [email protected] Clergy PE trainings are scheduled by the Family Life Office throughout the year. Note: If you are already a PE facilitator, you can contact our office and we will set you up for free PE scorings.
- Both CCC and PE are informative and easy to complete, and are tailored to the unique stage and structure of each couple’s relationship, whether dating, engaged or married. Some of the key scales that are assessed include: Communication, Conflict Resolution, Partner Style and Habits, Financial Management, Leisure Activities, Relationship Roles, and Spiritual Beliefs.
- The Archdiocesan Tribunal has affirmed that CCC and PE results can be helpful both immediately and in future counseling or even annulment cases. You may therefore keep a copy in the couple’s file.