These forms and documents are a support to catechetical leaders, youth ministry coordinators, and pastors by the Department of Youth Faith Formation.
Administrative Handbook for Parish Directors and Coordinators of Religious Education (aka “the red book”)
- Part-One-Complete: Program Administration and Coordination
- Part-Two-Complete: Professional Development
Guidelines and Policies for Parish Catholic Youth Ministry: provide information and guidance to youth ministry leaders of the Archdiocese of New York. It is a resource to assist adult leaders in forming sound practices and judgments in the various aspects of their ministry.
Parent Handbook: Directors/Coordinators should use this template as the basis and model for the Parent Handbook of their Parish Religious Education program. Contact your regional office for the Handbook in MS Word Format.
Catechist Handbook: Directors/Coordinators should use this template as the basis and model for the Catechist Handbook of their Parish Religious Education program. Contact your regional office for the Handbook in MS Word Format.
Guidelines for Catechesis
Guidelines for Catechesis /Directrices Catequéticas Grades 1 through 6: the guide to religious education in the Archdiocese of New York details the religious education content taught at each grade level.
PreK through K
PreK through Six Grade
Lesson Plans to accompany
the Guidelines for Catechesis
Guidelines for Catechesis /Directrices Catequéticas Grades 7 and 8: the guide to religious education in the Archdiocese of New York details the religious education content taught at each grade level.
- Grade 8 Guide Only
- Download Individual Sections:
The Joy of Adolescent Catechesis: written to inspire those who are involved in catechetical ministry with adolescents which strives to expand the vision of passing on a vibrant and joyful faith to teenagers. A Vision of the Joy of Adolescent Catechesis: provides a summary of the document from Catechist Magazine. Also available for purchase.
Administration Forms and Support
- Catechist Application Form: a sample packet for directors and coordinators to give to prospective catechist candidates.
- Catechist Job Description: ministry responsibilities for the catechist.
- Observation/Evaluation of Parish Catechist’s Lesson: a form to help directors and coordinators as they observe and evaluate their catechists.
- Catechist Formation Review: this review of Catechist Level One course material provides the catechist with an opportunity to check her/his knowledge and clarify her/his understanding of the material.
- Applications to honor catechists at our annual service:
- Certificate of Appreciation Application: honoring those catechists who have served for 10, 15, 20 years of youth faith formation ministry in the Archdiocese of New York.
- Application for Medal of Honor: this one-time award honors those certified (levels 1 and 2) catechists who have served for 25, 30, 35, 40 or more years of service in the Archdiocese of New York.
- Application for Milestone Years of Service Awards: honoring those catechists who have served for 30, 35, 40 years of youth faith formation ministry in the Archdiocese of New York and have already received the Medal of Honor.
- Catechist Certification Applications: upon completion of the requirements, directors and coordinators submit this form so that their catechists are awarded certification.
- Attendance Register: best if printed on 11″ x 17″ paper.
- Bus Companies: please check with the Archdiocesan insurance office for an updated list. 646-794-3024. Bus Service Contract is used by the parish to engage a bus company.
- Child Information Record: Registration Form in English and in Spanish for use when registering children into the Parish Religious Education program. In MS Word format, so the Director/Coordinator can make the changes necessary for the individual parish program, always with the permission of the Pastor.
- Conformity Listing of Catechetical Texts and Series: a download of the most current listing of religious education texts and series that have been found in conformity with the Catechism of the Catholic Church; published by the National Conference of Catholic Bishops.
- Crisis Management Plan Report: each year directors and coordinators are responsible for developing an emergency plan.
- Crisis Management Plan Report: download for printing and to fill out with a pen or typewriter.
- Crisis Management Plan Report: MS Word format.
- Crisis Management Plan Report: fillable PDF format.
- Family File (The Pink Card): prints on 5″x8″ file cards; they will be off-center on 8.5″x11″ paper.
- Media Authorization Form: form used to obtain the permission of parents/guardians so that images (e.g. pictures, videotape) of the children in their programs may be taken/used. En espanól: Permiso de Medios de Communicación
- Models for Parish Religious Education: helping our parishes effectively form young people and their families for discipleship as part of the Catholic church using diverse models of program organization.
- Order form for Supplies: order Attendance Registers, Family File Cards, Permanent Record Cards, Released Time Cards, Progress Reports and Catechetical Personnel Application.
- Permanent Record Cards (The Yellow Card): prints on 5″x8″ file cards; they will be off-center on 8.5″x11″ paper.
- Progress Reports: printable report for use in the religious education program.
- Safe Environment Forms: all forms are available from the Archdiocesan Safe Environment Office.
- Safe Environment Resources: resources provided by the Archdiocesan Safe Environment Program ensuring the safety of children and young people who have been entrusted to our care in our parishes, schools, religious education classes, and other programs.
- The Catechist in the Third Millennium: a download of the October 2012 statement of the Catholic Bishops of New York State supporting quality catechetical leadership in our changing parishes and world.
- Health, Life and Disability Benefits: a copy of benefits for lay employees.
- Agreement of Employment for Lay Employees: a downloadable copy of an agreement of lay employees.
- Health, Life and Disability Benefits for Directors and Coordinators of Religious Education: in arriving at salary and benefits, the Pastor and the lay employee may agree about the benefits listed in this document.
- Application for a Director/Coordinator of Religious Education: the application to be filled out by a new director/coordinator or youth ministry coordinator and submitted to the Department of Youth Faith Formation.
Youth Ministry Guidelines and Policies Manual
The policies and guidelines contained in this handbook have been written to provide information and guidance to youth ministry leaders of the Archdiocese of New York. It is a resource to assist adult leaders in forming sound practices and judgments in the various aspects of their ministry.
The policies and procedures are not intended primarily to limit activities; rather, they direct youth ministry leaders to develop and take necessary measures to ensure the safety of the young people in their groups and activities and minimize risks to their well-being. This manual is in no way a replacement for the Archdiocesan Safe Environment Policy Manual. It is a supplement. The Safe Environment Policy Manual needs to be read first, in its entirety. This handbook contains both archdiocesan policies, such as those related to safe environment, and guidelines. Policies in this manual are highlighted in red while best practices are highlighted in blue. Adult leaders ministering under the auspices of the Catholic Church in this archdiocese must comply with all policies regardless of what program they are running (for example, LifeTeen, YDisciple) or what ministry/order (for example, CYFM, PTAF, Salesian) the parish might be affiliated with. Addenda and updates to policies will be distributed directly to the pastors who are responsible for adult leaders ministering to youth.
By following these provisions and the spirit in which they are written, adults who lead youth ministry demonstrate their good faith and their intention to minister ethically, responsibly and within the bounds of the law.
Guidelines and Policies for Parish Catholic Youth Ministry: View/Download the entire Manual
View/Download a section of the Policy Manual
- Professional Boundaries/Supervision
- Emergency Procedures
- Reporting an Incident of Abuse
- Counseling, Professional Referrals and Disclosure
- Finances and Budget
- Record Keeping/Contracts/Inappropriate Youth Environments
- On-Site Supervision
- Off-Site Events and Overnight Trips
- Technology and Media
Find a form from the Policy Manual and download below.
- Code of Ethics
- Creating a Code of Conduct
- Safe Environment Checklist
- Youth Ministry Information Sheet
- High School Sign-in Sheet
- Middle School Sign-in Sheet
- Parent/Guardian Consent Form / Permiso de Padres/Tutores
- Medical Consent Form / Consentimiento Medico
- Adult Liability Waiver / Formulario de Conformidad Para Adultos
- Driver Information
- Overnight Event Approval Form
- Incident Investigation Report for Injuries
- Testimonial of Suitability for Lay Speaker/Presenter
- Approved Bus List