Basic Leadership Training Course for Faith Formation Leaders
The Basic Leadership Training Program program has been designed for new D/CRE or Youth Ministry Coordinator, to address certain ministerial/administrative expectations that are key to their success during their first year (and beyond) in their new role. The goal is to provide the foundational tools and accompaniment in the journey as a leader during this period of growth.
The Advanced Catechetical Leadership is designed for coordinators who are taking any of the courses in the Advanced Leadership Formation. Advanced Catechetical Leadership is an academic program for coordinators of Religious Education. It consists of 9 courses in theology, catechesis, and catechetical administration.
All courses are given in 8 sessions of 3 hours each. Classes are held once a week. Students should expect several hours of homework a week.
- Completion of Catechist Formation Level 1 and 2
- Completion of Basic Leadership Training Course
The certified director/coordinator of Religious Education is a significant member of the Archdiocesan Catechetical Leadership Community — those people who are recognized as possessing the competencies and skills identified in the Archdiocesan Handbook for Parish Religious Education Directors and Coordinators and whose commitment to the Catechetical Ministry reaches beyond the parish to the wider Archdiocesan Church.
Steps to Certification for Coordinators:
- Catechist Certification, Levels 1 and 2
- Basic Leadership Training Course
- Advanced Leadership Training Course
- Supervision Process
Steps to Certification for Directors:
- Masters in Religious Education, Religious Studies, Theology, or related field or Masters in any area plus 24 graduate credits in these specified fields
- Basic Leadership Training Course
- Supervision Process
Certification must be renewed after five years.
Requirements for Renewal of Certification
- 30 class hours in catechesis or theology over 5 years; attendance at the Youth Faith Formation Forum can provide up to 4 hours a year.
- Yearly attendance at a minimum of one spiritual renewal opportunity provided either by the Department of Youth Faith Formation or a Regional Office; this day/evening or prayer is for the purpose of providing a forum for spiritual sharing among Catechetical Leaders.
- Regular attendance each year at Regional Meetings; regular means attendance for at least 3/4ths of the meetings.
- Yearly attendance at a minimum of one professional formation seminar/workshop sponsored by the Department of Youth Faith Formation. These seminars and workshops can be found listed in Basic Training and in Certification Events.
- Exercising catechetical leadership beyond the parish for the sake either of a deanery or the Archdiocese, such as serving on a committee, giving classes or workshops in a catechetical field, mentoring at the request of the Department of Youth Faith Formation..
- Recommendation by the Regional Specialist.
- Recommendation by the Certification Review Committee.
- Approval for certification by the Director of Ministry Formation.
N.B. Developing and administering an excellent parish religious education program is NOT a requirement for Renewal of Certification. It is the primary responsibility of the Director/Coordinator of Religious Education whether certified or not.
Certification-related events are for directors and coordinators who are certified or are in the supervision process for certification.
- Meeting to Begin Supervision Process for Directors and Coordinators who have completed the Basic Leadership Training Course and Catechetical Leadership Program. (Annually in the Fall)
This is the necessary first step in the one-to-two-year supervision process, an essential requirement for certification. The day will consist in an orientation to the purpose and content of the supervision process. Participants will complete the self-assessment upon which the entire supervision process is built.
- The Wisdom Gathering for Certified Directors and Coordinators of Religious Education (Annually in November)
The Wisdom Gathering is an overnight spiritual and communal experience. It is the primary annual event for all Certified Directors and Coordinators of Religious Education.
- Consultation Luncheon for Certified Directors and Coordinators (Annually in January)
The purpose of this luncheon is to foster community among the certified Directors/Coordinators of Religious Education and to consult these leaders who form the Catechetical Wisdom Community on overarching directions and challenges for Catechesis in the Archdiocese.
- Advisory Council Meeting for Certified Directors and Coordinators (Annually in March)
On several occasions throughout the year, the “Wisdom Community” of Certified Directors and Coordinators are consulted on matters which affect the effectiveness and vitality of Parish Religious Education in the Archdiocese.
- Certification Ceremony and Dinner (Annually in the Spring)
At this ceremony, certification will be awarded to those Directors and Coordinators of Religious Education who have fulfilled the requirements for certification.
- Re-Certification Ceremony and Dinner for Directors and Coordinators to be certified (Annually in the Spring)
At this ceremony, re-certification will be awarded to those Directors and Coordinators of Religious Education whose certification has expired and who have fulfilled the requirements for renewal.
- Celebration of Gratitude for All Directors and Coordinators of Religious Education (Annually in June)
This Mass and Luncheon is a celebration of gratitude for all that the directors and coordinators of Religious Education have contributed over the past year to the Catechetical Ministry in the Archdiocese. It is also a time to honor those who now must leave the ministry after years of magnificent service for the flourishing of faith in our parishes.
For More Information
Ms. Bertha Peralta-Rodriguez
Director of Ministry Formation
1011 First Avenue
New York, New York 10022
Contact by Email