Marriage between a man and a woman establishes a partnership for life, and is by its nature ordered towards the good of the spouses and the procreation of life and education of offspring through Christ. God Himself is the author of marriage. Every marriage witnesses to God’s faithful, fruitful, and lasting love for His people.
Pathway to a Blessed Marriage
A weekend retreat for married couples based on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. This retreat offers you an opportunity to reflect together on God’s plan for your lives, renew your marital love and deepen your spiritual intimacy.
This retreat is offered by the Regnum Christi movement and includes reflections on marriage with opportunities for reconciliation, spiritual dialogue, couples time and adoration. The program is designed to give couples concrete tools to help deepen their understanding of themselves and their relationship, and the opportunity to have conversations that help a marriage flourish.
For more information on retreat weekends, please check the Regnum Christi website: www.regnumchristi.org/en/spiritual-experiences/.
Our office supports the efforts of Retrouvaille (“rediscovery”). Retrouvaille is a weekend program with follow-ups for couples whose marriage is in serious difficulty. If there is little or no meaningful communication, or if you are considering separation or divorce, we believe Retrouvaille can help.
The program offers the chance to rediscover yourself, your spouse and a loving relationship. It has a proven track record in saving marriages. It is a Catholic-based program open to people of all faiths.
Please check the Retrouvaille website for specific dates and locations: https://www.helpourmarriage.org/
Worldwide Marriage Encounter
Marriage Encounter is a positive, private experience for married couples who want to revitalize their marriage. The weekend is designed to enrich and deepen the joys a couple share together and is beneficial to couples of all ages and years married.
For more information, visit www.wwme.org or call 877-NYS-WWME ext. 3 (877-697-9963).
National Marriage Week and World Marriage Day
National Marriage Week was February 7-14, 2020! This annual observance honors and affirms the vocation of marriage and the positive impact of their dedicated example on our society, families, communities, Church, and nation.
As part of the celebration of World Marriage Day (Feb 9, 2020), the longest married couples in the Archdiocese of New York are honored for their witness of love and fidelity in marriage. These couples who have been sacramentally married in the Church for 65 years or more exemplify the goodness of one of our most joyous Sacraments, Holy Matrimony. This year, 30 couples were nominated! All couples registered in the search are awarded a commemorative certificate signed by the His Eminence, Timothy Cardinal Dolan.
Congratulations to Josie & Stanley Maciocha, the longest-married couple in the archdiocese at 77 years!
This is not the same as our annual celebration for couples who have reached their Golden Anniversary – 50 years of marriage (see below).
Fiftieth Wedding Anniversary
In May, the difficult decision was made to postpone the Golden Jubilee Wedding Mass scheduled to have taken place on Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 2:30PM at Saint Patrick’s Cathedral.
Due to the uncertainty of large group gatherings in New York City, the Golden Jubilee Wedding Mass will now be cancelled. We are disappointed, but the latest guidance in the city and state preclude doing so.
To ensure all eligible couples are recognized for their faith, commitment, and fiftieth wedding anniversary, the office of Special Projects and Events will work with each parish to ensure wedding anniversary certificates are issued to commemorate this blessed Sacrament of Marriage.
Parish staff may enroll golden jubilee couples for the commemorative certificate until Monday, November 2, 2020.
Certificates will be mailed directly to each parish for distribution. Questions can be mailed to email@example.com.
‘Local couples’ events
The Family Life Office sponsors events throughout the year that are centered around marriage and community. Please check back for upcoming programs that put the Sacrament of Marriage front and center.
Couples may desire a Papal blessing to commemorate a special anniversary. Receiving this may take months following a request. For more information and to complete the application process, click here
- Catholic Marriage Coaching: Looking to strengthen your marriage and learn to love one another with greater intimacy, joy and faith? Catholic Marriage Coaching may be the right answer for you. For more information, or to ask about a free phone trial session, visit lifecoaching4empowerment.com or contact Claudia Cortez directly at LifeCoaching4Empowerment@gmail.com or 845-642-4876.
- USCCB Marriage and Family Life Website: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops offers many helpful resources for married couples, including the “For Your Marriage” website. Here you can find practical help and advice – whether you’re seriously dating, engaged, or at any stage of married life. The homepage has daily marriage tips, book reviews, and blogs by engaged and married couples.
- Catholic Couple Checkup: This is an online tool designed to identify the unique relationship strengths and growth areas of dating, engaged, or married couples. It is meant to be an enjoyable and easy way to take a closer look at a couple’s relationship, increase their relationship strengths, and above all, spark meaningful conversation. It is designed for any couple desiring to enrich their relationship. Find out more about Catholic Couple Checkup.
- Wedding anniversary certificates (25, 50 and 75 years) are ordered for couples by their parish. The parish directly emails the Special Projects and Events Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed certificates will be mailed to the parish. Normally, three weeks advance notice is required.
- Anniversary of Marriage booklets are available for purchase and use at Archdiocese of New York parishes. Both English and Spanish versions are available (to parishes) through ICS on their website www.nyics.org (search “anniversary” in the Store), or by calling 646-794-2600 where one of the ICS representatives will be more than happy to place your order for you.
Marriage Enrichment; Prepare/Enrich inventory – please contact: