Marriage between a man and a woman establishes a partnership for life, and is by its nature ordered towards the good of the spouses and the procreation of life and education of offspring through Christ. God Himself is the author of marriage. Every marriage witnesses to God’s faithful, fruitful, and lasting love for His people.
“Be Light” Marriage Renewal Date Night Series
Join other Catholic couples in the Archdiocese of New York, and from around the country for a FREE virtual date night series! This 5-part virtual marriage enrichment and renewal series features five couples who will share very real tips for renewing your marriage during this unique time in our lives. This is our time as married (or engaged) couples to shine and be the light to those in our homes and communities.
Each date night will include a video from a dynamic couple, reflection questions, and recommended resources, and can be done at any time. To register, click here – and let your marriage BE LIGHT! For more information, email Kathleen Crayne at email@example.com.
National Marriage Week and World Marriage Day
National Marriage Week – February 7-14, 2021! This annual observance honors and affirms the vocation of marriage and the positive impact of their dedicated example on our society, families, communities, Church, and nation.
As part of the celebration of World Marriage Day (Feb 14, 2021), the longest married couples in the Archdiocese of New York are honored for their witness of love and fidelity in marriage. These couples who have been sacramentally married in the Church for 65 years or more exemplify the goodness of one of our most joyous Sacraments, Holy Matrimony. This year, 29 couples were nominated! All couples registered in the search are awarded a commemorative certificate signed by His Eminence, Timothy Cardinal Dolan.
Congratulations to this years ‘winner’ and longest-married couple in the archdiocese, Rosina and Giacomino Lenti, from St. Mary’s in Washingtonville, who are married 79 years! Rosina and Giacomino were born and married in Italy, and immigrated to New York on Valentine’s Day in 1970. Click here to read more about them in Catholic New York.
This is not the same as our annual celebration for couples who have reached their Golden Anniversary – 50 years of marriage (see below).
Fiftieth Wedding Anniversary
The Archdiocese of New York’s Golden Jubilee Wedding Mass will take place on Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 2:30 pm at St. Patrick’s Cathedral. The Mass is for couples celebrating fifty years of marriage in 2021. His Eminence, Cardinal Dolan will be officiating.
All who wish to attend this Mass will need to register with their parish and will be given a ticket for admission. Couples can contact their parish to register. Registration will close on Monday, May 17 at 5:00 pm.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 646-794-2000.
‘Local couples’ events
The Family Life Office sponsors events throughout the year that are centered around marriage and community. Please check back for upcoming programs that put the Sacrament of Marriage front and center.
Pathway to a Blessed Marriage
A weekend retreat for married couples based on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. This retreat offers you an opportunity to reflect together on God’s plan for your lives, renew your marital love and deepen your spiritual intimacy.
This retreat is offered by the Regnum Christi movement and includes reflections on marriage with opportunities for reconciliation, spiritual dialogue, couples time and adoration. The program is designed to give couples concrete tools to help deepen their understanding of themselves and their relationship, and the opportunity to have conversations that help a marriage flourish.
For more information on retreat weekends, please check the Regnum Christi website: www.regnumchristi.org/en/spiritual-experiences/.
Our office supports the efforts of Retrouvaille (“rediscovery”). Retrouvaille is a weekend program with follow-ups for couples whose marriage is in serious difficulty. If there is little or no meaningful communication, or if you are considering separation or divorce, we believe Retrouvaille can help.
The program offers the chance to rediscover yourself, your spouse and a loving relationship. It has a proven track record in saving marriages. It is a Catholic-based program open to people of all faiths.
Please check the Retrouvaille website for specific dates and locations: https://www.helpourmarriage.org/
Worldwide Marriage Encounter
Marriage Encounter is a positive, private experience for married couples who want to revitalize their marriage. The weekend is designed to enrich and deepen the joys a couple share together and is beneficial to couples of all ages and years married.
For more information, visit www.wwme.org or call 877-NYS-WWME ext. 3 (877-697-9963).
Couples may desire a Papal blessing to commemorate a special anniversary. Receiving this may take months following a request. For more information and to complete the application process, click here
- Catholic Marriage Coaching: Looking to strengthen your marriage and learn to love one another with greater intimacy, joy and faith? Catholic Marriage Coaching may be the right answer for you. For more information, or to ask about a free phone trial session, visit createdformission.com or contact Claudia Cortez directly at email@example.com or 845-642-4876.
- USCCB Marriage and Family Life Website: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops offers many helpful resources for married couples, including the “For Your Marriage” website. Here you can find practical help and advice – whether you’re seriously dating, engaged, or at any stage of married life. The homepage has daily marriage tips, book reviews, and blogs by engaged and married couples.
- Catholic Couple Checkup: This is an online tool designed to identify the unique relationship strengths and growth areas of dating, engaged, or married couples. It is meant to be an enjoyable and easy way to take a closer look at a couple’s relationship, increase their relationship strengths, and above all, spark meaningful conversation. It is designed for any couple desiring to enrich their relationship. Find out more about Catholic Couple Checkup.
- Wedding anniversary certificates (25, 50 and 75 years) are ordered for couples by their parish. The parish directly emails the Special Projects and Events Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed certificates will be mailed to the parish. Normally, three weeks advance notice is required.
- Anniversary of Marriage booklets are available for purchase and use at Archdiocese of New York parishes. Both English and Spanish versions are available (to parishes) through ICS on their website www.nyics.org (search “anniversary” in the Store), or by calling 646-794-2600 where one of the ICS representatives will be more than happy to place your order for you.
Marriage Enrichment; Prepare/Enrich inventory – please contact: