To be eligible for the Venerable Pierre Toussaint Scholarship Award, an applicant must:
- Be a member of a Roman Catholic Archdiocesan parish, active in parish/community affairs and submit a letter of recommendation from his/her Pastor/Parish priest;
- Be a graduating senior from a Catholic, private or public high school in the Archdiocese;
- Show academic achievement/promise, supported by a transcript and letter of recommendation from a teacher and/or guidance counselor;
- Submit a Pierre Toussaint Scholarship Application Form, by the required deadline.
- Submit an essay (typed) of approximately 300-500 words on one of three topics that are listed on the application and demonstrating a basic knowledge of the life of Venerable Pierre Toussaint. (Please note that Pierre Toussaint IS NOT the same person as Toussaint L’Ouverture. Applicants who confuse this fact in their essays may have their essays deemed unacceptable.);
- Demonstrate good character and leadership abilities, both in school and in the community;
- Be available for a personal interview during the selection process should such an interview be deemed necessary by the committee.
The completed application form, together with transcript, letter(s) of recommendation and essay, should be sent or delivered to the OBM / Pierre Toussaint Scholarship Fund Office at the following address: Pierre Toussaint Scholarship Fund Archdiocese of New York 1011 First Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, New York 10022.
The decision of the Office of Black Ministry Commission, upon recommendation of the OBM Education / Scholarship Selection Committee, are final. Scholarship recipients will be notified of their awards during mid-spring and will receive them prior to the start of their fall semester in college.
New awardees also will be notified of the date (in June) for the Pierre Toussaint Scholars Retreat and a Mass with their families, at which ALL scholars are expected to be in attendance!
N.B. In order to receive the award, the candidate must ultimately be accepted to a college or university and have taken the necessary steps toward enrollment.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Download the application to complete and mail in, or contact our office to have an application mailed/emailed to you. COMPLETE APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED IN THE OBM/PIERRE TOUSSAINT SCHOLARSHIP FUND OFFICE OR BE POSTMARKED BY THE FEBRUARY 14, 2020 DEADLINE DATE AS OUTLINED ON THE APPLICATION.