FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CATHOLIC SCHOOL ADMISSIONS FOR 2018-19 YEAR TO OPEN DECEMBER 1— 133 SCHOOLS WILL HOST OPEN HOUSE EVENTS ON DECEMBER 5
(November 29, 2017—New York, NY)—The Archdiocese of New York announced today that it will open Admissions for the 2018-19 School Year on Friday December 1, 2017—and host open house events at 133 schools across the archdiocese on Tuesday December 5, 2017
For children moving into Pre-K 3 through Grade 8, families can apply:n
- Online at www.ApplyCatholicSchoolsNY.org;
- By phone at (646) 794-2885, between 9:00am and 5:00pm Monday through Friday. This bilingual helpline is dedicated to serving parents who are unable to access a computer or who would like to access Spanish-language representatives and/or translation services for other languages; and
- At the school of interest for parents who would like one-on-one assistance from the school's staff in completing the online applications for Admissions and Financial Assistance.
"We are pleased to open our online admissions process on December 1 this year, providing more time for parents and families to visit Catholic schools near their home or work, and apply for the school that best suits their needs," said Dr. Timothy J. McNiff, Superintendent of Schools for the Archdiocese of New York
Dr. McNiff added, "Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of New York offer a unique combination of academic and spiritual development that help children of all backgrounds establish the foundation for lifelong success. Touring Tuesdays—including the upcoming event on Tuesday December 5—provide an ideal opportunity for parents and students to experience first-hand the value of a Catholic education.
The remaining Touring Tuesday dates are: December 5, January 9, January 30 (takes place during Catholic Schools Week), February 13, March 13 and April 24, from 9 a.m.-11 a.m., or by appointment. Since its inception in 2013, the Touring Tuesdays initiative has been attended by thousands of families and has resulted in more than 7,000 new student enrollments from Pre-K through Grade 8, across the Archdiocese
"Our Catholic school students learn in a secure environment where respect, courtesy, and service to others are always part of the curriculum. These Catholic values enrich not only our students, but also their families, parishes, and communities," Dr. McNiff concluded
Reflecting the stellar academic quality of Catholic Schools, the 2016-17 New York State Education Department Examination results show that:
- Catholic Schools in the Archdiocese of New York showed consistent, significant growth in student's Math and ELA scores on New York State Exams over the past 3 years.
- Last year, Catholic school students outperformed New York State and New York City public school students in terms of the percentage of students meeting or exceeding proficiency standards in both Mathematics and English Language Arts (ELA).
Touring Tuesday reservations are encouraged and can be made online at https://catholicschoolsny.org/visit , or by calling our bilingual helpline, 646-794-2885. School tours can also be arranged by appointment
Director of Communications & Public Relationsn
(646) 794 2889n [email protected]