For Immediate Release: May 6, 2020
CALVARY AND ALLIED CEMETERIES OF THE ARCHDIOCESE OF NEW YORK OPEN FOR VISITATION ON MOTHERS DAY
(New York, NY) Calvary and Allied Cemeteries of the Archdiocese of New York will be open for visitation on Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 10, 2020 from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
The cemeteries entrusted to the Trustees of St. Patrick’s Cathedral have regrettably, but necessarily, been closed to visitors since the outbreak of COVID-19 in New York in order to both accommodate the sharp increase in the number of burials, while still ensuring the safety of all concerned, including the cemetery workers. In April of 2020 burials in our cemeteries increased by 200% compared to 2019. Sadly, the consequences of the pandemic are such that the demand for burials remains constant.
However, given the understandable requests to open the cemeteries, particularly for visits this Mother’s Day, the five cemeteries operated by the Trustees of St. Patrick’s Cathedral – Calvary in Woodside, Resurrection on Staten Island, Gate of Heaven in Hawthorne, Ascension in Airmont, and Saint Mary’s in Rye Brook – will offer visitation hours on Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 10, 2020. Due to ongoing health and safety concerns related to the pandemic and to ensure compliance with New York State regulations, the following rules will be in effect at all Calvary and Allied Cemeteries this Sunday:
- Visiting hours on May 10 will be from 9:00AM to 3:00PM.
- Family and friends are asked to limit their visits to 15 minutes.
- No more than 10 people will be permitted to gather at a gravesite at one time.
- Staff at the cemetery entrances may restrict the number of cars allowed in the cemetery at any given time.
- Visitors must wear masks and maintain social distance.
- Bathroom facilities will not be available and all water faucets will be turned off.
- The chapels are not open at this time.
- Safety guidelines for graves:
- Fresh flowers, potted plants, palms, or artificial flowers are permitted. No planting, balloons, food or memorabilia will be permitted.
- Safety guidelines for mausoleums:
- Artificial flowers only will be permitted. No flowers, plants, palms, balloons, food or memorabilia will be permitted.
- Visitors will enter through the main doors of the mausoleum, and exit at the end of the corridors.
- Jogging, biking, and dog-walking are strictly prohibited for the safety of visitors and to retain the sacred atmosphere of our cemeteries.
The cemeteries will close to visitors at 3:00 PM on Sunday, May 10, 2020. Please check the websites below for updates regarding upcoming visitation hours and openings. (Note: parish cemeteries in the archdiocese will make their own determination regarding visitation hours and/or closures on Mother’s Day).
650 Saddle River Road
Airmont, NY 10952
49-02 Laurel Hill Boulevard
Woodside, NY 11377
GATE OF HEAVEN CEMETERY
10 West Stevens Avenue
Hawthorne, NY 10532
361 Sharrott Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10309
ST. MARY’S CEMETERY
1 High Street
Rye Brook, NY 10573