On Friday afternoon, September 25, 2015, Pope Francis visited Our Lady Queen of Angels (OLQA) in East Harlem. He met with principals and students from OLQA, St. Paul, St. Charles Borromeo, and St. Ann as well as 150 immigrants and refugees assisted by Catholic Charities.
Special highlights included:
- Pope Francis was presented gifts by 150 immigrants and refugees as they had a prayer service. The gospel of Matthew was said in English, Spanish, Creole, Chinese, Arabic, Wolof, and French and the service was closed with The Lord's Prayer and a blessing by the pontiff.
- When he visited the classrooms at OLQA, he learned how to use a smartboard and what their daily activities and lessons are in school. He requested and encouraged them to do a few things as "homework":
- To keep smiling & spreading joy
- To never give up on their dreams
- To pray for him
- He was presented with a Spiritual Bouquet at OLQA - A collection of prayers accompanied by photographs of students and student drawings, bound in a hard cover book.