July 20, 2016
The Archdiocese of New York
The Department of Education
The Catechetical Office
Regional Catechetical Director
Each region of the Archdiocese is served by a Regional Catechetical Director and a regional Catechetical Office. The Regions are:
-Central and Southern Westchester
The Regional Catechetical Director makes the mission and work of the Archdiocesan Catechetical Office immediately available to each parish.
The primary responsibility of the Regional Director to the region is to implement the vision, policies and programs of the Catechetical Office in the parishes while enabling the central office to remain attuned to the region’s diverse catechetical needs.
The Regional Catechetical Director:
- provides catechetical resources, expertise and assistance to Vicars, Pastors, Directors/Coordinators of Religious Education and other leaders of the area;
- fosters communication and shared-planning with key persons/groups in the region;
- brings the catechetical concerns of the region to the attention of Director of the Catechetical Office and other appropriate staff;
- provides direction, guidance, and catechetical resources to the parishes of the region for the improvement of their catechetical programs, pre-kindergarten through adult;
- offers guidance and assistance to the Directors and Coordinators of the region in their professional growth and development;
- builds a community of faith and professional support among the Directors/Coordinators of the region;
- administers the regional office;
- implements the Catechist Formation/Certification Program in the region;
- supervises the Directors and Coordinators of the region who are taking part in the supervision component of the Certification Program;
- conducts formal bi-annual visitations to each catechetical program of the region, assessing, evaluating and making recommendations;
- conducts regular meetings for the parish Directors/Coordinators of Religious Education;
- Attends area clergy meetings as feasible;
- offers days of enrichment, prayer and inservice for Directors/Coordinators and for Catechists of the region;
- develops and maintains a lending library of catechetical materials including media, samples of the current textbooks, printer catechetical materials such as journals, books and articles;
- distributes pertinent information regarding Archdiocesan events, personnel and services, and especially all Catechetical Office programs, events and offerings;
Publishes regular catechetical communications for the Directors/Coordinators and Pastor of the region.
In addition to the regional dimension of this position, the Regional Director is a full member of the Catechetical Office staff and fulfills the responsibilities listed for all staff members.
Requires at a minimum a Master’s degree in Religious Education and extensive experience in religious education and administration.
Bi-lingual: English/Spanish a plus.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: