On Friday evening, September 25, 2015, Pope Francis offered the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass at Madison Square Garden.
Special highlights included:
- Just before Mass began, Pope Francis entered Madison Square Garden in a "mini pope-mobile," making 2 loops around the arena to bless those attending the Mass.
- Notable quotes from Pope Francis' homily:
- "God's faithful people can see, discern and contemplate his living presence in the midst of the city."
- "The people of God, in every age, are called to contemplate the light."
- "Living in a big city is not always easy... yet big cities are a reminder of the hidden riches present in our world... big cities bring together all the different ways which we human beings have discovered to express the meaning of life."
- "Knowing that Jesus still walks our streets...fills us with hope!"
- Just before Mass ended, Cardinal Dolan gave thanks to Pope Francis for his visit to the Archdiocese of New York: "You, our Holy Father...thanks for visiting us, your family!...And now, here you are! We welcome you! We love you! We need you! We thank you!"
- As Pope Francis gave the final blessing and ended the Mass, he said, "Please, don't forget to pray for me." The congregation erupted with applause, joy, and gratitude. The Mass at Madison Square Garden will never be forgotten, and we will continue to pray for Pope Francis daily.