Employment Opportunities for Musicians
Last updated: October 28, 2022
PARISH OF IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (BRONX)
The Church of the Immaculate Conception (Bronx, NY) is seeking a part-time Director of their Gospel Choir for their 10am Sunday Mass. More information and application instructions may be found at the enclosed link.
PARISH OF ST. MARY (POUGHKEEPSIE)
The Church of St. Mary-St. Joseph and Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Poughkeepsie, NY is seeking a part-time Director of Music and Organist for Sunday and Holy Day Masses as well as other liturgies and events, including weddings, funerals, quinceañeras, an annual Christmas pageant, and Lessons and Carols. More information and application instructions may be found at the enclosed link.
PARISH OF ST. DENIS (HOPEWELL JUNCTION)
The Church of St. Denis in Hopewell Junction, NY is seeking a part-time, year-round organist/pianist for Sunday liturgies, Holy Days of Obligation, and Sacraments for Religious Education students. Accompanist will also play for cantor and choir rehearsals – not to exceed 2 hours/week. Weddings and funerals available on a per diem basis under separate compensation. More information may be found at the enclosed link.
PARISH OF ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST (GOSHEN)
The Church of St. John the Evangelist in Goshen, NY is seeking a full-time director of music.
The responsibilities include the following:
- playing the organ (and cantoring when necessary) at four weekend Masses (5:00pm Saturday; 8:00am, 10:00am, and 12:00pm on Sunday);
- directing and expanding the senior choir (10:00am Mass weekly);
- re-establishing a junior (children’s) choir (12:00pm Mass, frequency negotiable);
- establishing and accompanying a schola cantorum for monthly First Friday Masses for St. John School (pre-K through Grade 5);
- recruiting and training cantors;
- recruiting instrumentalists within the parish;
- overseeing maintenance of the parish’s instruments;
- maintaining and expanding the choral library;
- working with the pastor to build interest in, and fundraising for, a pipe organ.
Additional playing duties include:
- Christmas (three Masses on Christmas Eve [including Midnight Mass], two on Christmas Day);
- Easter Triduum (Holy Thursday Mass; Good Friday liturgy; Easter Vigil; four Masses on Easter Sunday; Tenebrae services on Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday);
- Three Masses on Holy Days of Obligation (Solemnity of Mary; Ascension Thursday; Assumption; All Saints);
- Confirmation (usually two liturgies on a November Saturday).
Funerals and weddings represent additional compensation; the organ and piano are available for private teaching as well.
It is preferred that candidates possess at least a bachelor’s degree in organ, sacred music, or an allied discipline, though we welcome other candidates who have practical experience in sacred music.
The position includes three weeks’ paid vacation (including three weekends) and benefits (including medical, dental, and vision).
The position is available immediately; salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please send a resume and three letters of recommendation to email@example.com.
ST. JOSEPH’S SEMINARY (DUNWOODIE) – YONKERS, NY
Full-time Professor and Director of Sacred Music
St. Joseph’s Seminary, a Roman Catholic seminary located in Yonkers, New York, is accepting résumés for the full-time position of Professor and Director of Sacred Music, commencing in fall 2022. In addition to directing the Seminary Schola (TTBB, 15 to 20 members) at Seminary liturgies and at an annual concert, the Professor and Director of Sacred Music will also be responsible for:
-planning music and playing organ for Sunday and weekday celebrations of Mass and the Liturgy of the Hours;
-teaching courses to seminarians, candidates for the permanent diaconate, and laity on sacred music;
-liturgical music instruction of the Seminary community;
-individual training in the presidential chants of the Liturgy;
-training and administration of the cantoring program;
-house organist schedule;
-production of worship aids for Seminary liturgies; and
-other liturgical music/instruction as needed.
He/she will also be expected to serve as organist for Seminary liturgies, with some organist responsibilities shared with seminarian organists. The Director of Sacred Music will work under the direction of the Director of Liturgical Formation.
Qualifications include at least a master’s degree in organ or church music, excellent conducting skills and experience, mastery of the organ, extensive knowledge of Gregorian chant and the sacred choral repertoire, a familiarity with English plainsong resources and music for liturgies in Spanish, an understanding of Catholic liturgical tradition and its pastoral application, a comprehensive knowledge of the liturgical and musical documents of the Roman Catholic Church, and effective pedagogical and communication skills.
The Seminary is home to a 41 rank, 3 manual Casavant Frères organ with two consoles.
Please send cover letter, résumé, at least three references, and two recordings — one organ piece and one choral piece, in digital format (MP3 or AAC) — to Fr. Matthew Ernest, Academic Dean and Director of Liturgical Formation, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PARISH OF ST. BERNARD (WHITE PLAINS)
Part-time Music Director / Organist
St. Bernard’s Roman Catholic Church is seeking a part-time music director / organist. Qualifications must include excellent keyboard skills, a pleasant singing voice, a working knowledge of the Catholic liturgy or a willingness and potential to learn, a people-friendly personality, and a professional attitude.
The ideal candidate will play the organ (2-manual Allen digital organ) and lead the singing at 3 weekend Masses:
Saturday 5:30 pm – English, play and sing with Youth Choir
Sunday 9:30 am – English, play and sing with Adult Choir
Sunday 11:30 am – Spanish, play and sing with Spanish Choir
Hold weekly choir rehearsals for the Youth Choir currently meeting on Wednesdays from 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm.
The base payrate is $600 per week. Extra services (holidays and sacraments) are $200 per Mass.
In addition, there are a number of funerals, weddings, and Quinceañeras at $300 for playing and singing.
Please email a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com
PARISH OF ST. THERESA OF THE INFANT JESUS, BRIARCLIFF MANOR, NY
Part-time Music Director and Organist
Responsibilities and duties include:
- Plan and provide music at four weekend Masses, working with cantors and choir(s).
- Plan and provide music for parish weddings and funerals.
- Play at all parish sacramental services including Solemnities, Holy Days, First Communion/Confirmation, and special events, i.e. evenings of recollections/parish missions, etc.
- Build up, train, and conduct our adult parish choir, organizing weekly rehearsals.
- Work with the DRE to continue to develop the children’s choir at the 9 a.m. to accompany the cantor.
The Organist/Director works closely with the Pastor in planning sacred music for celebrations of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and other liturgies. The ideal candidate should have a respect and understanding of sacred music and follow the liturgical and musical guidelines of the Roman Catholic Church as enunciated in her documents.
Interested applicants should send résumé with cover letter to:
Fr. Paul Michael Waddell
FORDHAM UNIVERSITY (BRONX)
Assistant Director of Liturgical Music (Part-time)
Fordham Campus Ministry at Rose Hill is seeking a well-trained, energetic, and empowering accompanist and choral director with a commitment to musical excellence and to the full, conscious, and active participation of the liturgical assembly to lead and grow the Gloria Dei Choir (GDC), which ministers each week at the Sunday evening 7 PM Mass. More information may be found at the enclosed link.
PARISH OF ST. CLARE (BRONX)
Position of Director of Music and Organist.
More information may be found at the enclosed link.